Wednesday 20 January 2010

Dissertaton (emphasis on the "er")



Today started with a lecture. Basically, Hamid our lecturer held two fingers up at us and said 'This is how many semesters you have left until your dissertation hand in". Ouch. So, that having been said I'm mulling over my proposal in my mind and trying to think of sources. The idea I'm going with is the place jewellery has within the genre of public art. Does it have a place at all? How can jewellery be interactive? As far as I have manged to define it, public art is something which people stumble across, they don't seek it out like an exhibition. In a way it is forced upon them to view and judge. Can this be the case with jewellery (I want to define jewellery in this case as 'wearable art')? If it is, how is it received and what effect does it have (positive or negative) on the public? If this is not the case, then how can one make it so? What would be the advantage of giving jewellery a place in the public art realm? Or is jewellery something meant to be personal and private, close to the heart and not to be shared with just anyone?

So many questions. I'm confused by the whole thing to be honest. If anyone reading this has any opinions please feel free to leave me a comment, it would be very much appreciated :)

Meanwhile, this is a nice starting point. The photos are the work of Jane Gowans, a jeweller who graduated from Duncan of Jordanstone last year. These two are called 'Grope' and 'Slap'. This takes forcing the public to see and judge a piece to quite a literal level! So I'll be trying to talk to her about her opinons too :)

Helen*

No comments: